Tuesday, November 4, 2014

UT's quarterback takes care of business on and off the football field

UT sophomore Logan Woodside has shown his winning ways as starting quarterback for this year's Toledo Rockets football team, a position he assumed following a season-ending injury to quarterback Phillip Ely. But Woodside was ready for the challenge, utilizing the skills he has developed since he started playing football since he was six years old.

"I've played in the quarterback position since the third grade, and now I am playing at my highest level of football yet. It's a challenge."


"I was recruited by UT, and was impressed by Coach Campbell. We all competed for the quarterback position, and I just kept working at it."

Working at things is something Woodside does well, including his studies in the UT College of Business and Innovation.

Logan had a 4.0 grade point average when he graduated from high school in his home town of Frankfort, Kentucky, and now has a 3.5 GPA at UT.

"I was going to go into physical therapy, but my roommate was a business major," Logan said.  "I learned there is a lot you can do with business. I like talking to people, and I like studying marketing and sales. We have a very unique program in the sales school (Edward H. Schmidt School of Professional Sales) here in COBI."

"People would be surprised to know that I am a super non-procrastinator.  If I get an assignment, I try to do it right away and get it done as soon as possible."

"I study a lot for football, but school is always first."

Logan admits that, "Ideally I would like to play in the NFL, but the NFL stands for 'Not For Long,' so I need to be prepared for a career, maybe pharmaceutical sales. I would like to move back close to home in Kentucky, and be surrounded by my big family."

Logan has connected with former UT quarterback and COBI alum Bruce Gradkowski, who often sends texts to Logan after UT's games.

The Rockets have been picked to win at least the MAC West Division this year, and Woodside's competitive nature may help them get there.

"I like the competition and leadership aspects of football, and making lifetime friends," he said.  "I'm competing and getting my college education at the same time."

No comments:

Post a Comment